The Official Drink of Austin is the city’s premier craft cocktail event, raising funds for culinary grants while challenging the best local bar teams to a friendly competition to create the essential Austin cocktail. Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest updates on the 2019 Official Drink of Austin!
Official Drink of Austin
The Official Drink of Austin celebrates the vast community of talented mixologists the city has to offer by challenging them to create the essential Austin cocktail. Winners get bragging rights for a year, while the attendees have the pleasure of sampling a host of original drink creations formulated by the best bartending teams in the city. As always, a selection of Austin’s top restaurants will be on deck offering tasty bites.
How do we select The Official Drink of Austin?
We send out a call to compete to the best local bars in Austin – and like bartending itself, the contest is a team event. Each participating bar team creates a drink utilizing Texas spirits and flavor combinations with a local flair. From all entries, six finalist bars are selected to compete live at the main event, where they set up bars that represent their establishments. Cocktails are judged in two preliminary rounds by a judging panel of all-star local community members. Is your bar team interested in competing for the ultimate local cocktail title? Email Mariam Parker, Executive Director at Mariam@austinfoodwinealliance.org for details!
Official Drink of Austin 2018
The rousing competition was hosted at the sparkling new Fairmont Austin Hotel, the Austin Food & Wine Alliance’s official hotel partner, where a spirited crowd enjoyed sips from seven other worthy competitors and delectable bites from local hot spots like Central Standard and District Kitchen.
An all-star team of judges, including singer/songwriter Tameca Jones and creative director and owner of Half Step Bar Chris Bostick, scrutinized the luscious libations thoroughly before awarding the honors to the team at Juniper.
The 2018 Official Drink of Austin Winner: Town Lake Yacht Club, Juniper
This year’s champion cocktail featured Cynar 70, Italicus Rosolio and Waterloo Gin suffused with strawberry preserves, splashes of lemon and lime and an orange slice garnish. The cocktail and winning team were publically lauded via a billboard near downtown Austin, made possible through our partnership with Reagan Advertising.
Check out the photos from this year’s Official Drink of Austin on Facebook!
Cocktail Competition Finalists
Enjoy Bites from Austin's Best Restaurants
- Central Standard – Stuffed Snap Peas
- Colleen’s Kitchen – Mini-Salted Chocolate Chip Cookie with Peppermint Buttercream
- COUNTER 3. FIVE. VII – Loaded Baked Potato with Cheddar Cheese and Bacon
- District Kitchen + Cocktails – Braised Goat Shoulder with Pickled Mustard Seed and Apple Relish, Horseradish Mousse, Celery Greens & Kennebec Potato Chip
- Fixe – New Orleans-Style BBQ Shrimp Toast with Ocean Bread, Wild Gulf Shrimp, Rock Shrimp, New Orleans BBQ & Smoked Butter
- Flyrite Chicken – Spicy Chicken & Cocoa Waffle
- Foreign & Domestic – Windy Hill Goat Heart, Huancaina, & Yucca
- Garbo’s Fresh Maine Lobster – Oysters on the Half Shell
- Ghost Hill at Treaty Oak Distillery – Smoked Brisket with Sweet Corn, Pecan Cream, Corn-Sourdough Crisp & Cilantro
- Lick Honest Ice Creams – Brown Derby – Bourbon, Grapefruit & Honey
- Nightcap – Beef Tartare with Black Currant, Mustard & Hazelnut
- Rules & Regs – Rohan Duck Tamale with Black Bean Mole
- Skull & Cakebones – Pineapple Rum Trifle – Treaty Oak Barrel Reserve Rum Cake, Pineapple Jam & Coconut Buttercream
- Swift’s Attic – Tuna Tartare with Nuoc Cham, Kizame & Avocado Puree
- Vino Vino – Two Spanish Tortillas: Spring Onion & Chorizo with Anchovy
- Weather Up – Chilled Sweet Pea Soup with Pink Peppercorn Cream