2012 GRANT AWARD WINNERS:
Argus Cidery, founded by Wes Mickel, is the first American Hard Cider crafted in Texas from apples produced by Texan growers. The AFWA grant will be used to plant a test orchard in Dripping Springs for experimentation of new apple varieties and will be the first Texas apple orchard using organic practices.
An organic farm located 13 miles from Austin in Manor, Tecolote Farm has the longest-running CSA in Texas. The AFWA grant will be used for two projects — a pilot program to humanely raise endangered heritage breed hogs on pasture and to subsidize local, organic CSA baskets for low income, underserved families in Austin.
Pflugerville’s Connally High School Culinary Arts Department is the first high school culinary program of its kind. The AFWA grant will be used to produce a documentary film to teach students about the process of raising beef in Texas from pasture to plate.
2012 GRANT AWARD HONORABLE MENTIONS:
ABOUT THE AFWA GRANT PROGRAM:
The Austin Food & Wine Alliance awards grants to selected organizations and/or individuals for the purpose of culinary innovation that contributes to the Austin and/or Central Texas community.
Grant Eligibility: Grant recipients must meet the following criteria:
• Food and beverage artisans, producers, culinary professionals or represent a culinary/food-focused non-profit serving the Austin and/or Central Texas community
• Must be located in Central Texas (within in the following counties) – Bastrop, Bexar, Blanco, Burleson, Burnet, Caldwell, Comal, Gillespie, Grimes, Guadalupe, Hays, Kerr, Kendall, Lampasas, Lee, Llano, Mason, Travis and Williamson
• Must demonstrate how the grant will be used for culinary innovation in their respective fields (including wine, beer, spirits and food industry)
• Represent fiduciary responsibility and transparency
• Must follow the reporting and accountability guidelines
• Attend Grant Awards ceremony on December 12, 2012
• Agree to participate in PR initiatives to promote AFWA & Grant Program
• Agree to AFWA website presence and mutual promotion of AFWA & grant program
• Must provide three (3) written reference letters as to why organization or individual should receive an AFWA grant and detail the reference’s relationships with the organization and/or individual